Unique Facts : 5 Fascinating Things You Need to Know About The World's Longest Sea Bridge
(Image : Bobby Yip/Reuters)
Unique facts. After nine years, China finally set to officially unveil the world's longest sea bridge. More than 34 miles long, the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge connect both world's largest gambling center, Hong Kong and Macau.
Many criticized the structure was a waste of taxpayer dollars, but the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge is part of a master plan to create a global science and technology hub by connecting two Chinese territories.
Here are five fascinating things you want to know about the world's longest sea bridge.
1. Cost $20 billion and 20 times longer than the Golden Gate Bridge.
2. Jiao Zhou Bay Bridge, which stretches 26.3 miles, was previously held the title of world's largest sea bridge.
3. The Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge designed with the capability to restrain major storms and earthquakes and it is constructed to last for more than a century.
4. 420.000 tons of steel was used in the structure. With that amount of steel, it's enough to build 60 Eiffel Towers.
5. They started the construction in 2009 and finish in 2016, but there was a delay related to the budget and safety concerns.